You have some audio recording capable sofwares like Wavosaur or Streamosaur, and you want to record the audio output of your computer.
It is useful when you need to :
- record web radio
- sample live audio streaming
- record what is played on website like youtube
- record / sample quotes from movies
- record internet phone conversations
If you have a decent soundcard, it should come with drivers that are able to provide some kind of routing, like the “directwire” from Waveterminal 192L :
Now since Window Vista / 7, the audio configuration in Windows is a little more cumbersome.
1) open the configuration panel, choose the “classic view”
2) click on “sound”, then go to the “Recording” panel, this is where the software device inputs should appear.
3) now right click in this window and select “Show Disable Device”, a new recording device should show up : “Stereo Mix”
4) If the Stereo Mix device is not activated, right click on it and select “Enable”
5) open Wavosaur, go to menu “Options” and select “Audio Configuration”
The stereo mix is in the “Audio in” tab, you are now able to select it, and record whatever is playing on the computermister4d